Thursday, June 19, 2008

I am the luckiest...

Six years ago in March, my friend told me would really like to fix me up on a blind date with her brother in law and after a few days of thinking it over (and a phone call to another friend of mine who was from the same tiny town as my "would be date" who assured he me he was "exactly your type,"), I said I would. Five years ago in May, my blind date turned boyfriend took me to the centerpiece of the KC Plaza, the J.C. Nichols fountain, and asked me to spend the rest of my life with him, and I said I will. Four years ago today, doors opened up and I heard the Trumpet Voluntary and saw almost everyone I treasured in my life in the same place at the same time. And then I saw that wonderful man from my blind date at the end of the aisle...and I said I do. I won't bore you with sentimentality, but I have to say that from our first date and phone call (and the 7 hour marathons that followed), I was in awe of two things: 1) The Hubs simply fascinated me. I loved the 20 different paths our conversations would take and how he was a bottomless wealth of useless information. 2) Prior to The Hubs, I always felt self conscious of certain personality traits I felt I need to play up or play down about myself. With him, I was just myself...wonderfully, comfortably, not always glamorously myself. And he loved me that way. I remember thinking, "How do I know if he's the one?" and one day it hit me as I was driving to see him: No matter what happens in my life, good or bad, he is the one I want by my side. And as we danced to our first song as husband and wife, these were the lyrics that played and remain forever in my memory of my Hubs and that wonderful day:

"Where was I before the day, when I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it every day, and I know that I am the luckiest."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww so sweet!

Melanie said...

Aww! That's so cool. :) God is good.

Left Coast Wifey said...

Happy Anniversary! =)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed