Monday, May 12, 2008

I learned from the best...


I have never been one to take a compliment well and I think I am as critical of myself as most people are. But I absolutely love who I am as a mother. I love that I treasure each moment of being Monkey's mom, I love sharing my silly sense of humor with him, and taking care of him. And I know that I am only the mother I am because I was raised by a wonderful mother. I was raised by a mother who wanted to hear about my day, who made me feel important and loved, and who made me laugh. That woman can still make me laugh so hard I cry thanks to the magic and technology of cell phones, e-mail, and web cams. I have always appreciated and thanked my lucky stars for her, but now that I am a mother, I love her even more.

Two Mother's Days ago, I was facing the reality that I may or may not be able to have children. Since I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) as a teenager, I knew it would be difficult road. Yet it was an experience I treasure now because it deepened my love for my husband as he supported emotionally and it makes me treasure every moment with Monkey in a way I might not have. Last Mother's Day I had officially been pregnant for two months and was so excited and so scared at the same time. This Mother's Day, as I held my beloved, sniffling baby boy while he wiped his nose on my shirt and got my sick husband medicine and Kleenex, I realized that I may not be having the most glamorous Mother's Day but I get to be a mother and that in its self is my gift :).

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed