Monday, April 21, 2008

It's good to be good...

I just noticed that my three favorite TV shows right now (I only see them thanks to the wonderful invention of DVR) have one thing in common: they show people trying to do the right thing and show that it's good to be a good person. My three shows are:

Eli Stone: Money hungry corperate lawyer with no morals suddenly has a vision of George Michael singing "Faith." Odd hallucinations follow, and Eli realizes he wants to change the direction of his life and the hallucinations offer him insight into the underdogs he needs to help. He remembers that his father, who also had these visions, told him "You're meant to do great things... speak inspired words... you're going to help people." Interesting factoid: Jonny Lee Miller (who plays Eli Stone) was Angelina Jolie's first husband.

Samantha Who?: Love, love, love Christina Applegate in this show. She plays Samantha, who after a hit and run accident and an 8 day coma, wakes up with retrograde amnesia (translation: she has no memory of friends, family, or her own history). She finds out she hadn't talked to her parents in years, was cheating on her boyfriend with a married man, and tended to be vain and selfish. She is trying to be a better person while learning what kind of person she used to be. Absolutely hilarious and insightful.

Miss Guided: I'm cheating, here is the discription from the home page: "Having finally conquered the awkward, traumatic world of high school, Becky Freeley (Judy Greer) returns to her alma mater as a guidance counselor with her insecurities and orthodontia a distant memory." Becky Freely is any person who was self conscious or awkward in high school, and yet despite her embarrassing moments, she remains optimistic and positive :).

Musicwise, I am currently enjoying the music of a little known artist called Monkey's Papa. He has a very unique spin on alternate lyrics to childhood songs that keeps me giggling and has Monkey memorized. However, we have learned the hard way that Monkey's Papa cannot wear hats or bandannas when performing because these items cause the audience to become confused, then scared, and then inconsolably upset until the headgear is removed (hint: it's not me, I actually love the sight of The Hubs wearing a hat). The other day I walked in to hear him singing (to the tune of the ABC's): "Monkey looks a little like me, won't he be as sweet as mommy..." I don't know for sure what swooning is, but I think I did it then :).

Silly Monkey :)

2 comments:

Livingstons said...

I've never seen Miss Guided, but the other two are great. Good writing, good overall message. And that Christina Applegate - come so far since Married with Children... It's like we're sisters in taste and humor. When's girls night, sista?

Autumn said...

I love Eli Stone! The rumor (should be confirmed today) is that it will get picked up for a second season, which makes me totally happy. I also watch the other two and enjoy them.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed