Monday, March 10, 2008

I was NOT a naughty 8 year old...

The animal mascot of the awkward moment

Awkward Turtle Moment Of the Week: I was at work this weekend and as I am required to check the ID of each my patients as I assess them, I always ask them (or their parents) when their birthday is and check it against their ID bracelet. One particular patient, a 10 year old, had the same birthday as my son.

Very Nice Parent: "oh neat, the same year?"
Me: "Nope, about 10 years apart. My..."
Very nice Parent: "So you have a 20 year old?"
Me: (smiling, attempting not to look shocked/dejected) "Umm, no actually, I have a 5 month old."
Very Nice Parent: (immediately horrified, attempting to back pedal), "OH, because I was going to say that you don't look like you could have a 20 year old child!"

The other thing was it was the beginning of my shift and I was at work...this means make up is on, hair is done, I probably look the best I do all week. As for parenting at 8 years old (which is how old I would have been if I had a 20 year old kiddo), this was the extent of my knowledge:




Last week flew by for me, I walked into work Friday thinking, "Wasn't I just here?" Monkey and I went to a meeting of moms and kiddos in our area and had a little St. Patty's day meet and greet. It was a great chance to meet people in our neighborhood and for Monkey to meet some new kids. Here in a few weeks we are also starting Parents as Teachers and Mommy and me swimming (I wonder if he will be a fish like me!). I am hoping to get out and about walking with our neighbor and her kiddos soon, IF Mother Nature doesn't sucker punch us with more snow after a beautiful 60 degree day again. I had some great time with my favorite boys today, one of those "ahh, life is good" days :).

4 comments:

Melanie said...

techie question for you: I know how to insert a web link in a blog post, but how did you rename your links? (ex. it says 'project runway' in your blog, not 'http://www.projectblah.blah')

Wife of a Soldier said...

Sounds like a great week! That will be so cool to do the mommy and me swimming! Wish they had something like that around here! (Middle of nowhere ;)

Sorry haven't responded to you yet - craziness + momnesia = nothing gets done! lol! I'd be honored to have you link me in your sidebar! ;)

Linda Hupp said...

You were the best mommy then - and you are the best mommy now. PS - please don't leave Matthew in a truck-stop bathroom like you did your first cabbage patch kid!

Livingstons said...

You cracka mea-upa! You may not have been an 8 year old mom, but did you hear about the 28 inch woman that had a baby? That's a an awkward turtle moment right there...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed