Tuesday, March 25, 2008

WFMW

I am a habitual gift giver and a firm believer in "is better to give than to receive." But it isn't all selfless giving, I get a little happy buzz from seeing the expression on someone's face when you have taken the time, even with something small, to remember them. Here are some of my gift giving tips:
  • I have a plastic tote of gift bags, tissue paper, ribbon, and fun padded mailers that I keep filled from things I get on sale. Usually after holidays, there will be tons of solid color or pattern bags on sale for 50% off. Bath and Body Works also has awesome and unique gift containers and bags that they mark down a few times a year. Wal-Mart always has print and solid colored bags for $1 in several sizes and Target usually has padded mailers in bright colors and patterns. Michaels sells a box of 50 cards made with fun, scrapbooking cardstock that can be used for any occasion. Plus you can dress them up or make them specific to a holiday or birthday with scrapbooking material in no time.
  • Since I am trying to declutter around my house, I have been trying to give my family things that they can use and enjoy, but not have to find a place to keep it. For the ladies in my family, I like to give candles, Tastefully Simple, and gift cards for things like manicures and pedicures. I even bought a gift card for a massage for The Hubs and set the appointment so he would go. He came home and asked when he can go again :). Guys are always a little more difficult, but sports tickets, car wash booklets, and Borders or Barnes and Noble gift cards for books and music work well for me. Also, several of us chipped in and got my dad golf lessons for his birthday, which is something I thought he really enjoyed. Magazine subscriptions also work great for almost everyone.
  • A family my parents and sister are friends with recently had a child who has been hospitalized for several months. My mom got four $5 gift cards to places like McDonalds, Subway, Chipotle, etc and gave them to them so that they could get a meal while they were traveling to and from the hospital or to give to their other children, who were at home and attending school. I learn gift giving from the best :).
Hopefully these are some ideas you can use, for more ideas, check out Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in my Dryer!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You do give great little gifts that make others smile :)

I tried your banana bread today, it was delish! I love the cinnamon, it adds a lot! I did add 2 cups of bran flakes to the wet mixture (I try to incorporate fiber anywhere I can) and it turned out great. I think next time I'm going to try and substitute applesauce for the butter portion. Loved it!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

It's neat seeing how someone else organizing their gift giving. We always try to pick up things on clearance for kids' parties, etc. You never know when you need something quickly, or when you might be out of money!

The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino said...

I love the idea about the $5 gift cards for the parents of the hospitalized child!

Your baby is ADORABLE!!!

Tonni said...

Those cards are exactly the ones I'm using for wedding thank-yous... not very formal, but super easy and fun!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed