Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday

Thanks to my friend Michelle, I happened across a great blog called Rocks In My Dryer. Every Wednesday, readers post tips they've learned on any (G-rated) topic--anything that has "worked for them" in making their life easier. Snaps to this site for the countless great tips and websites I have been referred to, slaps for the hours I have spent looking things up instead of sleeping :). This is my first time posting a tip, so here goes:

I have never been accused of being anal retentive, but I do have certain things that have to be done a certain way. One of these is that I keep my closet in color order. The perk of this is I always know exactly where the item I am lookin
g for is and have a good idea of when I am getting low and need to step it up on the laundry :). This really doesn't take much time, just come up with a system that makes sense to you (I have mine arranged from darkest to lightest, shirts on the top bar and pants on the bottom, and if I am really in an organizing mood, I sort each color so it goes from tanks/camis, short sleeve, 3/4 sleeve, and long sleeve). Even if you have a hectic week, it doesn't take much time to get things back in order. Also, when I was pregnant, I took everything out of my closet that I couldn't wear and put it in a plastic tub I the corner of my closet. Again, it saved time because I knew anything in the closet was something I could wear and feel comfortable in. I have kept this going as I work to lose the baby weight, and since the tub is in the closet, I can easily pack up "too big" clothes and switch them out for "slightly smaller" clothes.

As for keeping my son's closet organized, I love these plastic dividers that you can put between sizes so you can see exactly what you have for them to grow in to. The basic ones (plain yellow plastic, blank for you to customize) can be found here . A cuter version of the same thing can be found here.

Check out Rocks in My Dryer for more WFMW!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Welcome to WFMW!!! I love the great ideas listed on this post each week and slaps to me too for the many hours wasted... I mean spent, reading it all!

That is great about your closet, I would consider doing that to mine, but I despise going through my clothes. Each season it seems to be more and more grueling of a task because I have so many items that no longer fit me. I'm one of those people who refuses to get rid of some things, because who knows, I may just lose that extra 25 pounds a be able to fit into it again. Sad, I know.

I'm big into the tub system, and do sort out clothes that I don't need to have in my closet for a certain season. When I was pregnant I did purge many items (thanks to my hormones) and weeded out many things I knew wouldn't fit over that year or I just didn't like anymore.

For Baby Girl, I have a huge tub of clothes she outgrown and another of clothes waiting to fit and I go through it every size she changes. That is the most system I can handle for now. Maybe I can pay you to come do mine, you could check out some of my outdated clothes from high school and just toss them when I'm not looking :)

Sonshine said...

Welcome!

Thanks for sharing! I do the same thing, it sure helps being organized when you have a small closet and three kids' clothes in one closet! :)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed