Monday, May 26, 2008

My baby is all grown up...

No, not the baby I gave birth to but the one that I have been practicing my mothering skills on for the last 18 years is graduating from High School this week. I can't describe how amazing it is to have known a person for their whole life the way I know my sister, from the sit down talk at the dinner table about "how would you two feel if we decided to have another baby?" when I was 10 all the way up through getting a phone call on Prom night about her last high school dance. The amazing thing is, I have learned more from my baby sister than I feel I have taught her. She is one of the funniest and most creative people I know, one of the first people I want to call with good or bad news, and my source of great new music and bands. I love that no matter how old she got, she still wanted me to come lay on her bed when I came to visit so she could show me yearbooks of her friends to put faces with the stories she'd tell me. I am waiting for the day when she realizes that I am a 29 year old married mother with a job and mortgage and soo not cool...but she hasn't yet and I am going to enjoy being cool while I still can! I feel so lucky to have been a part of the every day little things in her life, and blessed that even when we are miles apart, we've stayed as close as if we lived right by each other. I have been flooded with memories of her growing up these last few weeks and although her graduating is a little bittersweet, I am so excited for what lays ahead for her. Watch out world, here comes Auntie Jess!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

wow kids really do grow fast. Just yesturday my niece was a baby going camping with us. Now she si 14 going to dances and learning to drive :)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed