Tuesday, April 1, 2008

WFMW: Project Linus

This weeks WFMW theme is posting your best idea to date... since I have only posted 2, I thought I would just go ahead and post something new :).

This is an idea for those of you crafty and not so crafty people looking for a summer project or something to do with your kids. I am a pediatric nurse at a large metro children's hospital and one of my very favorite things is receiving blankets from Project Linus. Named after Charlie Brown's friend Linus with his trusty security blanket, this group has chapters all over the US. "Blanketeers" can make and donate any kind of blanket (including quilts, tied comforters, fleece blankets, crocheted or knitted afghans, and receiving blankets in child-friendly colors), which are used for seriously ill and traumatized children, ages 0-18. Their website provides all the specifics as far as preferred sizes and local chapters (click here to see their homepage). From my personal experience, there is nothing more wonderful than giving a child something made with love to snuggle up with during a very scary time. Sometimes I have it waiting on their bed to greet them when they arrive, sometimes it "magically appears" on their bed when they are asleep at night. And I know for a fact that the teenagers appreciate them as much as the little kiddos :).

Project Linus works for me (and lots of other people), check out more great ideas for WFMW at Rock In My Dryer!

5 comments:

Robin said...

What a wonderful project. I wonder if there's anything like it here in Israel...

Thanks for your visit to Around the Island and your compliments on my kitchen, too.

Mom2fur said...

I've heard of this, but never tried to do it. I just bookmarked the site and will make an effort!

Anonymous said...

My daughter who is 9-months-old just spent three days in the hospital and she received a beautiful Project Linus quilt. Thanks to all those who help with this project!

Kristen said...

I love that! I'm going to look around here and see what I can dig up! That's awesome.

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Oh, I LOVE this! I had not heard of it before, but with my little philanthropic minded kids, this is definitely something I want to look into doing! Thanks for sharing ~ I'm glad the program was a comfort to you!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed